Model is wearing the Lace-Up Flutter-Sleeve Blouse
Share your brow style with me on Facebook & Instagram @AvonSaraLay.
Shop online anytime at www.youravon.com/saralay!
Lipstick has been a makeup staple of mine for a long time. Whether it’s bright & bold or natural & soft, my face just doesn’t feel quite right without it. If you enjoy this timeless cosmetic classic as much as I do, you will enjoy these ten fun lipstick facts that encompass history, business, and the top-selling colors from coast to coast. So sit back, swipe on a bright new shade, and brush up on your lipstick trivia.
1. Think Cleopatra was only into eyeliner? Think again! Back in around 69 to 30 B.C., the infamous queen would tint her lips with a DIY concoction of carmine and henna.
2. In the 1550s, Queen Elizabeth I famously rocked a statement red on her royal lips. But no store-bought shades for her either! Elizabeth reportedly created her signature hue by blending cochineal (an insect used to create reddish dye), gum arabic, egg white, and fig milk.
3. The first Avon lipstick was introduced in 1919, which means we’ve been tinting lips since before women had the right to vote!
4. Avon’s first-ever lipstick came in a metal container and was only offered in two shades: light and dark. (Can you imagine what those turn-of-the-century ladies would think of Avon’s current selection? We’ve got over 150 colors now!)
5. Avon sells a tube of lipstick in the United States every 15 seconds. That adds up to over 6,000 lipsticks sold each day, and 2 million sold every year. In fact, if each tube was a mile long, we could go around the Earth over 500 times!
6. Southern belles have more in common with each other than their accents. Apparently, they love wearing the same bold red lips, too! Here’s how we know: Avon True Color Lipstick in Cherry Jubilee—a deep, rich crimson—is the top-selling shade in North and South Carolina, Tennessee (GO VOLS!), Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Alabama.
7. Red lips aren’t only big in the South. In Hawaii, the top-selling shade is Avon True Color Lipstick in Red Supreme. And although Avon’s celebrity makeup artist Kelsey Deenihan is a California native, she gets why Hawaiian women gravitate to this shade—it’s her favorite, too! “Red Supreme is an amazing matte red that gives me that extra oomph of glam,” she says. “It’s bold and makes a statement.”
8. On the coasts, women love a good wine—in the glass and on their lips. Case in point: Avon True Color Perfectly Matte Lipstick in Superb Wine is the top-seller in both California and New York.
9. In the midwest, ladies keep it romantic with Avon’s True Color Lipstick in Country Rose. This rosy pink is the top-selling shade in Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Ohio, and South Dakota.
10. Turns out, mauves are crowd-pleasers all around. Avon True Color Lipstick in Cozy Mauve is the #1 seller in states as varied as Idaho, Maine, Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Meanwhile, Wyoming women like mauve too, only they prefer theirs with a little extra pizzazz—the top-selling shade in Wyoming is the subtly shimmering Sparkling Mauve.
One of my favorite shows of the 90’s was Full House. I looked forward to the “TGIF” lineup every week. I wanted to be DJ Tanner so bad. She had the coolest teenager room and I loved her hair! (Yes, I know – I’m a dork, but I digress.) Being around the same age as DJ, I could empathize with much of her teenage drama. One episode in particular stands out as I write this post. She was entering junior high and thought the best way to fit in and look cool was to wear makeup…a LOT of makeup. Needless to say her look was more clown than pretty. She learned that the best approach to makeup is to look as though you are wearing none at all. Now I love to try bold looks from time to time, but you just can’t be the classic “no-makeup” look. Summer time is the perfect time to lighten up your look. No one wants their face sliding half way off in the middle of a hot, humid day!
Here are a few of my favorite products to achieve the no-makeup look:
Starting out with a good foundation is key. Avon’s Ideal Nude Liquid Foundation combines mattifying powder with featherlight water-based pigments for fresh and natural-looking coverage.
Defining your brows is one of the most complementary tricks to enhance your face. It can be a real game changer, especially if your hair is on the lighter side.
Make your eyes pop with a hint of color. Eyeliner can sometimes be the difference in an awake face or a sleepy face.
Try Glimmersticks Liners for brows, lips & eyes!
You can’t go wrong with a nude lip. Avon’s True Color Lipstick comes in shimmer and satin shades. My favorite? “Blush Nude” in satin.
“Polish” off your look with one of 31 shades in the True Color Pro+ Nail Enamel collection. Try “Rose Quartz” or “Perfectly Flesh” for a perfect summer mani/pedi.
Show me how you rock the no-makeup trend. Follow me on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter & be sure to tag @Avonsaralay.
Shop anytime by visiting www.youravon.com/saralay.